Spiraling into Shadow – Chapter Seventeen

March 1, 2018 in Most Recent, Spiraling into Shadow

The Thamaturge sat in the plush red armchair, taking in her surroundings. The house was small, but it was quaint—a humble abode for a humble woman. Paige smiled; she could definitely see herself living in a place like this.
“Tea’s ready!” A melodious voice rang out in the adjacent room. Turning, Paige noticed as a small blue figure fluttered her way over, a large silver platter wobbling in her petite hands. Bowing her head in silent thanks, the Thamaturge delicately took the steaming cup and saucer from the tray and placed it on her lap.

“I can’t tell you how good it is to see you, dear.” The blue fairy flitted her way over to her own small armchair, an appropriately sized cup and saucer in her hands. Sighing, she touched down upon her chair, placing her drink in her lap as she adjusted her glasses. “Tell me, how long has it been?”
“A couple years since graduation, Miss Greyrose,” Paige replied, taking a sip of her tea. Almost immediately a satisfying warmth spread over her tongue, along with an all-too-familiar taste. She smiled. Earl Grey… some things never change.
“My, my,” the Ice Professor tutted. “Seems only yesterday you and that brother of yours first stumbled onto campus.”
“That was nearly 10 years ago,” Paige said.

“You’ve grown so much since then.” Lydia Greyrose smiled as she stirred her tea with a spoon the size of a toothpick. “Is Hadfield treating you well?”
“He’s… different,” Paige chuckled. “His methods are a lot more… informal, I’ll give him that.”
“How so?”
“One day we went to Wintertusk and just went sledding all day.”
“Sledding…? Oh my. I think I know where this is going.”
“Huh?”

The old fairy smiled, a kind of frosty twinkle in her eye. “Did he do the avalanche?”
Paige guffawed, her eyes nearly the size of the saucer in her lap. “NO WAY. How did you know?!”
“I’ve heard similar horror stories from alumni,” Greyrose laughed, her voice bubbling with mirth as she rocked back and forth clutching her gut. “About how Hadfield would take his students sledding, only to submerge them in several meters’ worth of slush…” The Ice Professor wiped a tear from her eye as she de-fogged her glasses with a napkin.
“It was a good lesson!” Paige retorted, chuckling. “A far cry from your orderliness, that’s for sure, but it was great! And really fun, actually! I mean, Ice isn’t just rigid structure… it’s also unpredictable, like a sudden snowstorm.” She grinned. “At this point, I’m just mirroring what Hadfield told me, so I guess his lesson plan is working.”
Lydia smiled fondly as she sipped her tea. “I suppose you’d be a bit more inclined towards unpredictability… what with all that adventuring you’ve done on the side with that brother of yours.”

As the Ice Professor placed her now-empty cup on the coffee table, she looked at her protégé, curious. Something was… off. At a normal glance, one might assume the Thamaturge was simply uncomfortable; however, this was different. Her pale-blue eyes were muddled, her lips resting in a slight frown. Her shoulders drooped to her sides as her gaze flitted around the room nervously.
“…Icebreeze? Is something the matter?”
Paige shook her head hurriedly, adjusting her hat atop her head with an odd vigor. “N-no, Miss Greyrose. Just… thinking, is all.”
Lydia raised an eyebrow. “Thinking? Is this about James?”
Paige sighed. “…Yes… although I hate that I am.”
Without a word, the Ice Professor had flown back to her seat, sitting upright. She looked at the Thamaturge, directly gazing into her former student’s eyes with a sternness that radiated a determined coldness as well as a compassionate warmth.

“Tell me everything.”

2 responses to Spiraling into Shadow – Chapter Seventeen

1. You make Lydia sound likeable, and that cliffhanger…Urgh! Good stuff.

2. Nice! 🙂 I’ve never been a fan of professor Greyrose, but I like her here xD

Leave a reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Skip to toolbar