As I’m sure everyone knows, yesterday was the Duelist101 Monster Brawl! I was extremely excited about participating in it and it really was quite a lot of fun! Naturally, I took a few (ok more than a few) pictures of my experience!
*If you really don’t care about my story you can just scroll to the bottom and I’ve included a few pros and cons.. seriously though, my story is cute… you should read it… just do it…
The part of this event I was most looking forward to was, by far, the costume contest. I had decided on a costume that used one of the new-ish flamenco flamingos, so
of course, because I like to make things more difficult for myself I chose to use the Flamenco del Muerto.
The flamenco is actually a really awesome looking pet. While the mixture of colors in the Flamenco Tocador is really very pretty (and that would’ve been my second choice, if I had not found a Del Muerto)The red tipped wings on the FDM are gorgeous.
The Flamenco del Muerto in all its glory.
Naturally I wanted to match the color scheme of the pet so I immediately started working with
kill me, these are the most expensive colors in the game gahhh red & black. I also had begun this costume project with a yankering (is that even a word??) to use the new duelist hat. There were two reasons for this: “duelist” (tell me I’m clever, common, tell me) and it seems to have a Spanish vibe to it (great description there >o<).
Duelist Hat & Elegant Outfit
One of the colors in the del Muerto is white, so I grabbed first for the elegant outfit with its white poofy sleeves.
While I liked the elegant outfit, a few tweaks later I ended up going with a more armored look.
A closer look at: The Conquistador
Finally the party began! The first stop (for me at least) was Julia Stormflame’s Sun palace and at first it was ultra crowded.
It was so crowded I seriously needed to get away and find a spot where the lag wasn’t too bad. Luckily I did find this pretty spot and stayed there for a bit until moving on to the Promethean Pvp house.
My costume: The Conquistador & Her Flamenco of Death. This photo was taken at the first stop during the Brawl, the Sun Palace.
My computer eventually adjusted to the lag and I ended up spend the majority of my time at the Promethean pvp house, Julia’s Pyramid of the Lost Horizon. I started off with no gear pvp and had tons and tons of fun. Thankfully I was on a team completely comprised of storms (+1 balance)! Needless to say, we dominated! XD
Unfortunately, as time went on people discovered the tag game machine…. they discovered it over and over and over and over and over and seriously. enough eventually became quite enough. I had come to this party looking forward to the costume contest and I was beginning to think I’d never get over to the Acropolis house in time (it was nearly perpetually full the entire party).
Invasion of the elves
After finally leaving the pyramid, Cat and I went back to the Sun Palace to find Julia S. and find out what was going on at the Acropolis house. Of course it was still full, but Julia (who proved to be a super problem solver! Many many thanks to her for being so patient!) just suggested that the small group who was stranded at the palace simply do a little pvp.
After a few matches, Cat and I slipped away to take a picture with the swarm of Mooses! It took a while, but we managed to get a few perfect shots!
Trying to take a picture here! >.<
Eventually we did manage to get over to the Acropolis and when we did we were just in time for the costume contest!
All the contestants were told to stand in a line as Mackenzie Rain & Roslyn judged…
Roslyn & Mackenzie stood in front of Cat and I for a long while… I had a feeling someone was going to win something…
Then they announced the finalists! Cat was one of them!
Cat’s pretty far over there in the green and orange…
She ended up winning first place! However, I was kinda bummed out… I had liked my costume quite a lot! I’d worked hard on it! I’m clever…. right? meanwhile I’m thinking to myself: stop whining you silly…
I was resigned to my fate.
And then suddenly…
They had to pick a new third place! The previous winner had had to leave before the final three were called. So, none other than Julia Stormflame steps up as a new judge to pick out her favorite as the new third place…. which just happened to be me! 😀
It was kinda awk since Cat won too and we’re sisters… conspiracy anyone?? XD
- All in all, I did have a fantastic time and even if I hadn’t won in the costume contest I would have said the same thing.
- Pvping was really, really fun. It was even better because most of the people there loved it just as much as you.
- The staff was extremely patient and courteous the whole time. This was totally amazing and I have no idea how they managed it.
- One free pack (of choice) for all attendees!?
- Dragonclaw Blades for people who play a pvp match!?
- I feel like the event definitely could have benefitted from a little more hosting-help, though I don’t think that the creators realized the sheer size of the attendee list.
- Next time, hopefully there will be more houses and more contests for people to participate in, this may have helped dissipate the large number of people stuck at certain houses since the others were totally full.
- I distinctly remember a ton of down time that I had at some point where my whole self ached from being stuck at a laggy pyramid and from being turned into an elf over and over and over… while the tag game was great, maybe next time the host can pick up the kiosk after the actual tag contest ends or have a house devoted to just tag? I know that’s not the most ideal thing to do, but seriously it got really old really fast for us people waiting to pvp or just chilling out.
- … giving out free packs to everyone may have been a mistake too…. people get crazy at the mention of free packs…very crazy
A huge thanks again to the Duelist staff for hosting this! Really looking forward to next year ;D