Pirate101 Companion Training Tips
A few pointers from the pros.
Have you been in a Pirate101 PvP match and wondered how another player’s Bonnie Anne had more health than yours? Have you wondered how some folks get all of their companions to Level 50 so fast, while you’re stuck farming for gold to get Tomes? In this article, we’ll let you know how they’re doing it.
How to level Companions fast!
As soon as Alex Jaderider hit Level 50, he had all of his comps (except 3) up to 50 also. How did he do it? The answer is simple: He didn’t train many of them while he played through the game. When he reached the level cap, he had a bunch of Tomes stockpiled from simply not using them. Some of the lowest level companions can get 4-5 levels per Tome when you’re at 50.
Here’s how to get through the game while saving Tomes and not leveling many Companions:
- Tomes are cheap when you’re low level. Stockpile gold, max your current companions, and buy the maximum 10 Tomes you’re allowed to purchase. Do this around Level 8 or 10.
- Only level a few companions regularly (Usually Bonnie, your best Melee unit, and one other), and only level them when you can get 2 levels for one Tome.
- Leave the other Companions alone. Let them die, don’t use a Life Fountain. Refill your health using Red Yum.
- If one of your good Companions dies (hey, it happens), just revive them all, then let the bad ones die without reviving again.
- Don’t do side quests for comps until Level 50. For one, you won’t have to give them Tomes. Second, they come 1-3 levels above you, so they’ll be higher levels than you can get from training.
- Put new Main Quest Companions at the top of your list, use them until they’re not high enough level anymore, then let them die.
- When you reach Level 50, spend those tomes!
Video: Spending Tomes at Level 50
Maxing out Companion Stats
You may have noticed another player’s companion having a higher stat than yours, but you’ve trained as much as you could! This is because the game forces you to train a talent you probably didn’t want at Level 36. If you’ve trained the stats you wanted to Rank 2 at that point, the Rank 3 talents aren’t available yet and you have to pick between the two you’ve ignored.
The fix for this is simple – Reset your companion’s Talents and Powers at level 50. You’ll have access to Rank 3 the entire time, and won’t have to train anything extra. This is also a good time to fix Epic Abilities you didn’t mean to train, or try out something new. The best part? It only costs gold. About 6,000 gold will reset a Level 50 comp, and you can do this as often as you’d like.
Do you have any great Companion tips for P101 that we haven’t mentioned? Let us know in the comments!
Below is a video of retraining Bonnie at Level 50 for max health: